Reports and Publications
SCIDUA communicates with its key stakeholders as follows:
- Each individual health practitioner who provides information to the Committee on the SCIDUA questionnaire receives a letter from the Chairperson.
- An annual report for the preceding calendar year is provided to the Minister.
- The Committee provides data to the ANZCA Mortality Working Group, which produces the triennial report of Safety of Anaesthesia: A review of anaesthesia related mortality reporting in Australia and New Zealand.
- Periodically, the Committee submits reports to peer-reviewed journals in which trends in anaesthesia-related mortality are described. These reports reach a wide range of anaesthetists in Australia, New Zealand and internationally.
All of the Committee's proceedings, documents and correspondence are protected under Section 23 of the Health Administration Act 1982.
The Clinical Excellence Commission recently facilitated the inaugural joint forum of the Collaborating Hospitals’ Audit of Surgical Mortality (CHASM) Committee and the Special Committee Investigating Deaths Under Anaesthesia (SCIDUA). This new initiative was designed to review a case which progressed through both mortality programs and identify relative clinical learnings.
The outcomes paper from the joint forum and the deidentified case are provided with a letter from the Committee Chairs. Together, these documents demonstrate the complexities that clinicians encounter, along with the challenges of clinical management.
Note: Disclosure of the case example has been approved by the Minister for Health for the purposes of education.
- Download PDF ~825KB
- Learning from case reviews 2015 PDF ~979.0 KB