End of Life Care Education
The End of Life program was established in July 2013 in response to the growing concerns around the provision of safe, quality end of life care in NSW Public Health Organisations. The End of Life team provides education in relation to:
- The introduction of the AMBER care bundle to clinical units/facilities
- The introduction of a standardised statewide mortality review process
- The introduction of the Last days of life toolkit
For each of the programs the learner will gain an understanding of:
- The role of the Clinical Excellence Commission End of Life team in improving end of life care and management for patients in NSW
- The value of teamwork and culture in implementing and sustaining change
- The case for change and purpose of the AMBER care bundle, standardised mortality screening and review, and the Last Days of Life toolkit
- The stages and components of the each of the programs/tool/s
- How to identify the barriers and enablers for achieving sustainable change
- How to implement the program/s and adapt them to become part of usual practice to care for their patients who are dying or approaching the end of their life
As negotiated for each site
Mode of delivery and duration
The course is delivered a series of face to face presentations and includes:
- Mandatory introductory presentation and staff meeting (1 hour) - in this session introduce the concept of the tools and how they will work in the particular setting and gain agreement that this is something worth doing.
- Education sessions/workshop (1 ½ - 2 ½ hours) - in this session go through the tools step by step, covering aspects of teamwork and difficult conversations.
Who should attend
Any team that cares for patients approaching the end of their life or who are dying.
Prior learning requirements
Prior training in communication skills would be an advantage
Evaluation of program
Participants will be asked to give feedback at the conclusion of the program.
It is expected that participants will participate fully in the practical sessions and be fully engaged.
- Free for NSW Health Staff.
- Non-NSW Health staff to be considered on case by case basis and fees to be negotiated.
Further Information / how to register
Contact End of Life Program Lead
Phone: 02 9269 5500