Healthcare Safety and Quality Capability
An Occupation-Specific Set for Healthcare Workers in NSW Health
To ensure that patients reliably receive safe, quality care every time, we must be clear about every individual's safety and quality role in NSW Health.
The intention of the Healthcare Safety and Quality Capabilities is to create a shared language to describe the safety and quality capabilities and associated behaviours that are expected of all NSW Health employees, leaders and Board members when fulfilling their roles
The Healthcare Safety and Quality Capability Set complements the NSW Public Sector Capability Framework, which describes the capabilities and associated behaviours that are expected of all NSW public sector employees, at every level and in every organisation. The Healthcare Safety and Quality Capabilities are an occupation-specific capability set for NSW Health employees and comprise six additional capabilities:
- Contribute to High Reliability: Understand and apply knowledge regarding how the organisational, team and individual conditions influence reliable service delivery to achieve safe, high-quality care
- Manage Clinical Incidents and Risk: Identify, communicate and manage clinical incidents and risk
- Manage Individual Factors that Influence Performance at Work: Be aware of thoughts, emotions and physical feelings that influence effective performance at work and adapt when necessary to deliver safe, reliable care
- Uphold a Safety Culture: Support staff, patients, families, and carers to feel safe to engage in learning and to acknowledge when an incident has occurred
- Utilise Improvement Methodologies: Able to understand and utilise appropriate improvement, research and applied science methodologies to achieve change for healthcare improvement
- Utilise System Thinking: Be able to see the individual parts of the healthcare organisation, how they operate and interact, and their patterns of behaviour over time, and to use that information to contribute to change for safety and quality.
Healthcare Safety and Quality Capabilities: An Occupation-Specific Set for Healthcare Workers in NSW Health
Download PDF ~705KB