In NSW, all clinical staff involved in transfusion related activities are required to complete the BloodSafe eLearning module 42063551: Clinical Transfusion Practice.
Health workers involved in non-clinical handling of blood products, such as hospital porters and orderlies, may only be required to complete the BloodSafe eLearning module 42375508: Transporting Blood.
Staff employed to perform phlebotomy or venepuncture, may only be required to complete the BloodSafe eLearning module 113942676: Collecting Blood Specimens.
If unsure, view the Mandatory Training Matrix.
All courses can be accessed by the My Health Learning website.
BloodSafe eLearning is funded by the States and Territories to develop and host learning resources for nationally recognised transfusion practice and Patient Blood Management courses for health workers, students and laboratory staff.
NSW Health employees can access all mandatory and most other BloodSafe eLearning directly via My Health Learning using the course code or searching for Blood Safe. If accessed via MHL, the completion will be reflected in your learning history.
Clinical Transfusion Practice
- Clinical Transfusion Practice: 42063551
- Clinical Transfusion Practice – Refresher 1: 208353012
- Clinical Transfusion Practice – Refresher 2 (eMR): 347121120
- Collecting Blood Specimens: 113942676
- Transporting Blood: 42375508
Iron Deficiency Anaemia (IDA)
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia Essentials: 244382642
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia: Preoperative: 244405945
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia: Paediatric: 244404687
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia: Heavy Menstrual Bleeding: 244401354
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia: Maternity: 263397669
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia: Chronic and Complex: 263402554
Patient Blood Management General (PBM)
- General - Patient Blood Management Essentials: 93976473
Patient Blood Management: Medical
- Medical Introduction: 93975048
- Gastrointestinal: 93932545
- Cancer: 93966448
- Cardiac: 93965747
- Chronic Kidney Disease: 93964069
- Chronic Transfusion: 93934874
Patient Blood Management: Acute Care and Surgical
- Viscoelastic Haemostatic Testing: 233050731
- Critical Care: 113947940
- Critical Bleeding: 93882195
- Perioperative: 93893530
- Intraoperative Blood Cell Salvage (available via Blood Safe)
- Preoperative Bleeding Risk Assessment (available via Blood Safe)
Patient Blood Management: Obstetrics
- Obstetric Haematology: 157423327
- Obstetric Blood Management: 157433704
- Postpartum Haemorrhage: 42063568
Patient Blood Management: Neonates and Paediatrics
- PBM for Neonates and Paediatrics: 184386177
- Neonatal: Preterm: 208358571
- Fetal Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia: 208358705
- Neonatal: Major Haemorrhage: 288178858
- Paediatric: Haematology Oncology: 184389781
- Paediatric: Surgical: 208359095
- Paediatric: Major Haemorrhage: 208359278
- Paediatric: Iron Deficiency Anaemia: 208359568
- Immunoglobulin: Essentials (available via Blood Safe)
- Immunoglobulin: Governance and Access: 347175335
- Immunoglobulin: Prescribing (available via Blood Safe)
- Immunoglobulin: Administration: 349695710
- Immunoglobulin: Adverse Events (available via Blood Safe)
Recommended education information
Blood Watch recommends the following resources as an adjunct to online learning for short, targeted local teaching.
BloodSafe eLearning resource centre videos
A series of short, standalone videos available to view now or download for later use in education, listed under main topics such as consent for blood transfusions; double independent checking; patient blood management and management of anaemia.
Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Service Online learning for clinicians
Clinicians can sign up for a free Transfusion Online Learning account to access education and innovative resources which include webinars, podcasts and register for live events.
Graduate Certificate in Transfusion Practice
An online course administered by The University of Melbourne School of Nursing. It is delivered under the auspice of the Blood Matters Program, Victoria.
Blood products and transfusion practice resources for health professionals
Australian Red Cross Lifeblood provides access to several transfusion practice resources for clinicians. These can be downloaded directly from the website and print copies can also be ordered for clinical areas.
Some resources recommended by Blood Watch are:
Blood Book: Australian Blood Administration Handbook
The Blood Book: Australian Blood Administration Handbook is a comprehensive resource to assist with safe bedside transfusion practice
Blood Component Information: An Extension of Blood Component Labels
The BCI describes the blood components produced by Australian Red Cross Lifeblood, including a description of the blood collection process, method of manufacture, critical manufacturing steps and clinical indications for use.
Transfusion Orientation Pack for JMOs 2021
An information pack for junior medical officers.
Pack Check Clinical Scenarios
This is a pack to practice completing the patient and pack check in a clinical scenario.
Toolkit for Maternity Blood Management
This toolkit provides strategies and tools to improve the detection and management if iron deficiency and anaemia in pregnant women.
Adverse events overview
This section of Australian Red Cross Lifeblood provides valuable information on adverse events. Although uncommon and usually mild, early recognition of these transfusion reactions, prompt cessation of the transfusion and further clinical intervention are essential for a successful patient outcome in these situations.